Friday, October 28, 2011

Zuppa Toscana
























This is one of Olive Garden's Famous Soups - Zuppa Toscana, and today I found a CopyKat Recipe for it. I was so excited I decided to make it for lunch, but with only an hour I knew I would be pushing it on time, so I adapted the recipe a little bit and whipped it out in about 25 minutes - and that included a trip to the grocery store. Well. I finished - five minutes before I was supposed to be leaving back to work. And it was delicious. I burnt my tongue and I don't even feel bad. I will definitely be making this again soon. Here's the amazing recipe.

Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana

Serves 8.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 45 minutes

1 pound Italian sausage
2 large russet baking potatoes sliced in half and then in 1/4 inch slices
1 large chopped onion
1/2 can. Oscar Meyer Real Bacon Bits (these are less fatty than real bacon)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chopped kale or Swiss chard
2 14.5 ounce cans chicken broth
1 quart water
1 cup heavy whipping cream


Cook sausage and crumble in a large stock pot. Drain and return to pot. De-glaze the pan with the chicken broth. Add water, onions, garlic and potatoes and cook on medium heat until potatoes are done. Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer for another 10 minutes. Turn to low heat; add kale and cream. Heat thoroughly, sprinkle with bacon and serve. Shredded cheddar cheese would be a great garnish as well.